Tuesday 31 May 2011

With The Wind in My Hair

I love getting out on the water and over the summer I took the opportunity of sailing again on the Lady Nelson, out of Hobart.  I took my grand-daughter with me and we had a lovely time watching the crew climb the rigging.  I thought that this boat would be a great way to volunteer when I retire, till I came to the realisation that I, too probably would be required to climb the rigging.  The thought of that makes me green around the gills, so maybe I will leave that to the more adventurous characters out there and just play tourist.

This photo was taken of the Lady Nelson when she was sailing in the Tamar River, northern Tasmania.  I was on my little yacht and sailed by her. It was the start of the 3 peaks yacht and running race.

Here are the hearty souls heading up the rigging.

And what a lot of rigging there was.

And the only rope on a yacht is ...... the bell rope every other rope has another title.

The bowsprit. Love to be out on there watching the dolphins swim by (but alas I am not that brave).

A nautical craft in it's own right.

Silhouette
against the sun

And along sailed the Windward Bound.






I haven't always been into boats.  I was into my 30s before I ever stepped foot on a boat. Some dear friends were building a yacht and I took a keen interest as it was a long term project.  Well, finally the day arrived when their beautiful 40ft steel ketch was to be launched and the boat owner invited me to have the honour of christening her. That began my love affair with yachts.  I bought my own yacht several years later but decided to sell her (after 10 years of wonderful sailing) and get something a bit more suitable for our lifestyle that we are planning when we retire. All we need is something that was quick to get in and out of the water when the fish are running so we can go out and get a feed. So we found a small cabin cruiser. Just the thing for me to still get the wind in my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment